This is a calendar of events of interest to Los Angeles bankruptcy professionals. If you would like an event to be posted on "the dog," please send your announcement to J. Scott Bovitz. Include the link to the registration page on your group's web site. Thank you.
November 27, 2020, General Order 20-11:
"The Bankruptcy Intake in the Ronald Reagan Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse located in Santa Ana will be closed until further order of the Court. ... The Intake areas of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California at the Edward R. Roybal Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse in Los Angeles, and both the Woodland Hills and the Santa Barbara Courthouses will continue to be open to accept in-person filings. The Intake area in the Riverside Division remains closed."
A note from the Ninth Cicuit (changes effective December 1):
This message is being sent to ALL attorneys and parties registered for Appellate Electronic Filing in the Ninth Circuit.
On December 1, 2020, some important new and revised Ninth Circuit Rules will be going into effect, including a completely rewritten Circuit Rule 30-1 and significantly revised related rules governing the excerpts of record. The new and revised excerpts rules, along with two unrelated rule changes, are available now on our website at https://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/content/view.php?pk_id=0000000682. Please review these rules carefully before submitting any briefs or excerpts of record on or after December 1.
* Separate Index (Table of Contents) Volume required for multi volume excerpts, no index or TOC to be included in numbered volumes
* Single Volume excerpts of no more than 300 pages can include Index/TOC
* Excerpts must be consecutively paginated through all volumes in a set other than separate index volume, including caption pages, blank pages, certificates, etc.
* Social Security cases- complete CAR as filed in district court must be submitted with original pagination in new separate docket event called Social Security Certified Administrative Record at the time the initial excerpts are submitted (or with supplemental excerpts if pro se appellant)
* Establishes new standard citation format for citing in the briefs to the excerpts and social security record
Additional Changes and Important Clarifications:
* Purpose of the rule is highlighted and clarified, rule itself is streamlined with specific examples moved to committee notes
* Citations directly to the record in counseled briefs are prohibited except for undisputed background facts
* Clarification of contents of Volume 1 in multi volume set - ALL orders and rulings challenged on appeal, and nothing else
* Requirements of appellees excerpts in pro se cases are clarified must include everything that would have been required for opening brief plus what appellee is required to include
* Clarification of when complete trial transcripts must be included, and option to submit those in separate volumes at the end (before any sealed volumes)
* Clarification that cited or relevant documentary trial exhibits must be included in the excerpts, suggestions given as to where
New resources will be available, including a revised sample shell brief and new sample excerpts of record, on our website, along with an updated appellate practice guide and a new technical guide for working with PDFs, at https://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/content/view.php?pk_id=0000000858. New and revised FAQs regarding excerpts of record will also be available on our website at https://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/content/faq.php
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
December 3-4 conference:
American Bankruptcy Institute. Winter Leadership Conference.
December 4 program:
San Fernando Valley Bar Association, Bankruptcy Law Section. Late-Filed Returns and How To Discharge Taxes. Hon. Kwan, Tedford, Faucher. Zoom.
December 7 virtual holiday party, 5:00 p.m.:
Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum
Beverly Hills Bar Association, Bankruptcy Law Section
Central District Consumer Bankruptcy Attorney Association
Financial Lawyers Conference
Inland Empire Bankruptcy Forum
International Women's Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC), Southern California Network
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section
Orange County Bankruptcy Forum
Orange County Bar Association, Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section
Turnaround Management Association, Southern California Chapter
Holiday Party. Hon. Maureen Tighe will speak about the state of the court. Zoom.
December 8 program, 12:30 p.m., Zoom:
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Real Property Section. Mezzanine Loan Remedies under Article 9: The Twin Challenges of Conducting A Commercially Reasonable Disposition and Doing So In A Pandemic World. Arnold.
December 9 Cocktail-CLE, 5:00 p.m.:
TMA Now SoCal. Virtual holiday cocktail instructions.
December 10 panel, 4:00 p.m.:
Financial Lawyers Conference. Financing In-Transit Inventory: Sooth Sailing or Stormy Seas? Schoenholz, Cianciotti. Zoom.
December 15 cooking lesson, 5:00 p.m.:
SoCal IWIRC. Gnocchi making.
January 23 Zoom:
Cdcbaa. 15th Annual 9th Circuit Review. Hon. Bason, Hon. lafferty, Hayes.
March 4, 2021:
American Bankruptcy Institute. Bankruptcy battleground west. Virtual.
March 22, 2021 movie club (not 100% sure about the date, the film, or whether the movie club regulars want to sit all that close to you):
When the governor permits, and once the Regel has reopened, members of the Monday Night Lawyer Movie Club Unless It's On Tuesday will gather for a bite (usually at a restaurant at LA Live, next to Staples Center, 800 West Olympic Boulevard) and watch the latest film at the Regal Cinema (also at LA Live, 1000 West Olympic Boulevard, Los Angeles). For upcoming film selections, dates, and times, visit bankruptcydog.com or send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org. Bring your no-touch-thermometer; during 2021, the group will conduct non-contact temperature checks of all draft beers.
May 14-16, 2021:California Bankruptcy Forum. 33rd Annual Insolvency Conference. La Costa (we think).
October 5-9, 2021 conference:
National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges. Indianapolis (J.W. Marriott).
November 5, 2021 dinner:
Central District Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys Association ("c"). Calvin Ashland Awards Dinner Honoring Judge of the Year: Chief Judge Maureen Tighe. Los Angeles (LA Grand Hotel).
May 20-22, 2022:California Bankruptcy Forum. 34th Annual Insolvency Conference. Monterey (Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course).
October 18-22, 2022 conference:
National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges. Orlando (Marriott World Center).
May 19-21, 2023:California Bankruptcy Forum. 35th Annual Insolvency Conference. La Quinta (La Quinta Resort & Club).
October 10-14, 2023 conference:
National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges. Austin (J.W. Marriott).
May 17-19, 2024California Bankruptcy Forum. 36th Annual Insolvency Conference. Santa Barbara (Ritz-Carlton Bacara).
September 17-19, 2024 conference:
National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges. Seattle (Hyatt Regency Seattle).
September 16-19, 2025 conference:
National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges. Chicago (Marriott Marquis Chicago).